Yoga online - 13 best tips that will get you started with online yoga practice
Yoga online a beginners guide
Are you a beginner who wants to be able to do yoga at home but don’t know where to start? It might not seem like an easy task, but with some help on the way, you will get there! The hardest bit is actually to get started with a yoga class and to have the confidence to challenge yourself. So let’s start with some self-love and to remember yourself to have fun. To do online yoga at home is liberating, challenging and encourages you to find your flow and creativity.
Can you do yoga at home as a beginner?The answer is simply yes you can! You don’t have to be on an advanced level to do home yoga practice and online yoga. All you need is some space, an open mind, and stillness. It can feel a bit scary to go to a yoga studio for practice, especially if you are a person who compares yourself to others. For many of us that can be a challenge just to let go of your thoughts and commit to the practice. With online yoga at home, you can give yourself away to your practice.
What do you need for doing yoga at home?At yoga studios, you can often borrow props like a block, straps, and bolsters. But ask yourself what is essential for you to be able to practice yoga? Do you prefer to use props or is a yoga mat enough? Since the beginning of yoga, you didn’t even use a mat, all you needed was your body and soul to do your yoga poses. If you don’t have a mat, try a towel or a carpet, to begin with. A block can help you if you have tight hamstrings or need to work more with your balance but remember that it’s not completely necessary for practice. Some of our online yoga classes maybe suggest props, if you don’t have any, it is not the whole world, and for example, it is possible to use a pillow instead of a bolster or a regular belt instead of a yoga strap.
What are the benefits of doing online yoga at home?To find the time to go to a yoga studio or find the creativity to make your own yoga practice can be challenging. This could even be the biggest reason for skipping yoga. Instead of that, online yoga motivates you to win time for you do invest in your mind and body. For overall health and wellness and you can much easier get a regular yoga home practice.
Where to start?There are endless ways to start your yoga journey, but the most important step is to take that one decision to actually start and to prioritize yourself, your body and your practice. See it as a great way to make a little bit of extra care for yourself. Maybe you’ve seen yoga online on social media and got inspired to try it for yourself? If they can do it, so can you!
13 Tips that will get you started with home practice!
1. Make it a daily yoga routineThis is the easiest way to get started. What is the best time in your day for yoga? An excellent way to start the day is to make yourself something hot to drink, roll out your mat and start warming up your body with a yoga video that suits your mood. It doesn’t have to be the hardest work out of your life, just a soft glow or a silent moment of meditation.
2. It doesn’t have to be a long yoga class!There is no time limit for a yoga practice. When you go to a studio one class is usually 15 min or 45 min it is more likely one hour or more. You can do that at home as well, but if you're a beginner who wants to get started with online yoga, you’ll find that online offering yoga classes that suit your time schedule. Start with a 30 min class and do it get warm in your clothes. Once you feel confident, level up to another class with your favorite yoga teacher. A 30 min gentle flow is perfect in the morning if you’re not a morning person, just a quick one to get your nervous system going.
3. Roll out your yoga matTo have your mat unrolled and your yoga clothes on top of it is an excellent way to invite yourself for a yoga practice. It can be a reminder actually to do it. Such an easy way to encourage the practice.
4. Sign up for a free online yoga trial periodAt Yogateket you find a trial period for two weeks. This gives you time to try out different yoga styles and find your favorite teacher. You have the option to pick the duration, teacher, form and what part of your body that you want to give a little bit more love to. A signup period will provide you with a hint of what benefits online yoga gives.
5. Everything is somethingLet go of all prestige and stress and let your practice be for as long as you want. If you only have time for a five-minute meditation, give yourself credit for spending that five minutes on a meditation. It’s important to be kind and not to push yourself or feel let down because you didn’t finish a class.
6. Put on your favorite yoga musicWhen practicing yoga online, you always have the option to pick your own music. Maybe the music playing in the studio isn’t the one you prefer, or you just want to yoga with your favorite playlist. Press play and enjoy, you are in charge! Even if you have a yoga teacher telling you what to do, you are your own teacher. You can always find good yoga playlist on social media that will get you into the right mindset and mood, or ask our teachers for their playlists. Here is Lizette's Spotify
7. Don’t give up...Does it feel uncomfortable or too hard? Some of the yoga classes are for beginners, and some are for more experienced yogis. If a posture is too hard, then try it with a block, or set it as a goal to be able to do it in the next month or so. At Yogateket you always have the option to pick your yoga level and if a yoga posture is too hard, just rewind the video and start over as many times as you’d like. It wouldn’t be challenging if you were able to do it all the first time.
8. Make it fun!If you’d like to put your own twist on a posture or want to do your downward-facing dog in your way, then do it! No one is watching you, you can do whatever you want! Laugh, smile, enjoy! Our yoga teachers always practice with a smile, and we hope you do as well.
9. Take the same class to find your flowIt can be hard in the beginning to find your flow or to get used to all the postures if you are new to yoga. An excellent way to find your flow is to take the same class a couple of times. Then you get to know the teacher and see what styles are your style!
10. Create a space where you can practice yogaWhere do you have enough space to practice? Is it in your living room, bedroom or kitchen? Wherever it is, make it your space. Bring a candle to that room and roll out your mat. This is your energy zone where you let you of all must go, a place where you can have your daily practice and flow.
11. Ask yourself what you need from your practice!Why do you want to start with online yoga? Is it the lack of time to go to a studio? Do you work or studying in inconvenient hours? No yoga studio for classes where you live? Or is it simply because you want to try something new? If you know the ‘why,’ then it’s easier to motivate you to do!
12. Bring your practice wherever you goThis is my favorite part of online yoga. If you work away or going on vacation, you always have
your online yoga on your phone. Just log in as you usually do, and pick a class that you want to explore.
13. Get started!Start by signing up for a trial period and explore Yogateket. Try our yoga challenges if you are up for a treat! You will find a meditation challenge and a strengthen challenge for beginners. We also have all level classes and programs as vinyasa flow for beginners, gentle yoga, meditation, hatha yoga and more. Best yoga is the yoga that gets done!
Yoga as a remedy accessible from everywhereYogateket is not only a place for your home practice with online yoga classes, Yoga challenges, Yoga programs, and inspiration. It is also a platform where you can learn the basic Sanskrit terms, names of postures and get descriptions of the different styles and poses. Here you’ll find inspiration and will have the option to learn more about yoga history and theory, health and wellness, body and mind.
Want to know more? So do we!
If you want to learn more about how to make an asana easier or just go deeper into our yoga world, you will find articles that might inspire you! Our yoga teachers will give you all the tools you need. If you want to provide us with tips on how to become better, don’t hesitate to contact us with your thoughts and reflections. Then we can grow together. You can follow us on Facebook, Instagram and on our studio website for more information.