Uddiyana Bandha Kriya - Pre Nauli
Step by step to Nauli Kriya
Uddiyana Bandha, Upward flying lock or Pre nauli that is called sometimes is an essential exercise for health, well being, and energy flow. This exercise will help your digestive organs, improves digestion, massage your solar plexus and abdominal organs, release tension and toxic, and stimulates blood flow as well as strengthen your abdominal muscles. A perfect practice to help and activate your energy flow in your hatha yoga practice.
Before we do our uddiyana bandha practice, there are a few things to remember. This practice should be done with an empty stomach, to activate your abdominal muscles. In the same time, you should always do your uddiyana bandha after an exhale. Now that we remember these two things let’s continue with our practice.
What is ‘Bandha’?Bandha are “locks” or “bonds” essential to yoga and to pranayama practice (breathing exercises) which can help you stimulate your energy and cleansing your energy channels. Usually, we talk about four key locks or bandha’s:
- Mula bandha: the root lock
- Jalandhara bandha: the throat lock
- Uddiyana bandha: the abdominal lock
- Maha bandha: Great lock - to do all three locks at the same time
Uddiyana' means to fly or rise up. thereof "Upward flying lock"
The reason behind bandhas is to gain control and lock your energy to use and stimulate your energy as you want it. Bandha practice helps you with your flow, to maintain it and engage it!
How to do uddiyana bandha Kriya / Pre Nauli:9 step guide for a better energy flow
This step by step guide is from standing position but can be practiced in Padmasana as in the picture above.
- Stand up with your feet shoulder distance apart, and your knees slightly bent.
- Bend your back straight forward and place your palms on your thighs close to your knees.
- Keep your arms straight and slightly and little weight into them.
- Exhale slowly until your lungs are empty.
- Draw the abdominal wall in and up as if you would try to make your waist smaller. Like you are doing a mock inhalation holding the breath (breath retention) expanding the rib cage.
- Hold your breath (breath inhalation) for as long as you can.
- Release your abdominal muscles slowly.
- Inhale as your abdominal muscles are entirely released.
- Repeat a couple of times. Uddiyana Nauli Kriya helps not only with releasing energy, but it also moves your energy from your belly and up your body. This is also a great way to work your lower abdominal and to focus on that contact with your muscles that can be hard to activate. Uddiyana Bandha creates massage for your abdominal muscles and the lower back.
Massage for your abdominal and soul
Nauli Kriya helps not only with releasing energy, but it also moves your energy from your belly and up your body. This is also a great way to work your lower abdominal and to focus on that contact with your muscles that can be hard to activate. Uddiyana Bandha creates massage for your abdominal muscles and the lower back.
This is a practice that suits new and old yogis, and will benefit you and your practice! It can be practiced as standing or in a seated yoga poses as Padmasana (lotus posture) or Sukhasana (easy pose.)
Bandhas are activated during Pranayama, but you will find that this practice these days in more in dynamic types of yoga like vinyasa yoga and hatha yoga, sometimes even are seen in restorative yoga.
Uddiyana bandha contraindications
- High Blood pressure
Online courses were to learn Uddiyana Bandha Kriya
- Yogateket's Eight-week Pranayama program with Guy Powicki suited for beginners to start their Pranayama journey.
Benefits of Uddiyana Bandha Kriya
- Strengthens the abdominal muscles
- Massages The Solar plexus, Abdominal organs, Heart, and Lungs.
- Improves circulation in the abdomen and flow of blood to the brain.
When to do Pre Nauli?
Practice this bandha in the morning on an empty stomach.
Are there any other Bandhas?
Yes except, Mulha bandha (root lock), Uddiyana bandha (abdominal lock), Jalandhara bandha (throat lock), Mahha bandha (great lock), there is Pada Bandha (foot lock) and Hasta bandha (hand lock)
Did you know?
Uddiyana bandha is the only practice in the hatha yoga tradition that massages and stretches the respiratory diaphragm. The diaphragm in the respiratory system is the dome-shaped layer of muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen.
What are other kriyas in hatha yoga?
- Neti - Purification of the Nose
- Dhauti - Purification of the Esophagus and Stomach
- Nauli - Turning of the Abdominal Muscles and viscera
- Basti and Shanka Prakshalana - Complete Cleansing of the Intestines
- Kapalabhati Pranayama - Cleansing the Frontal Sinuses
- Trataka - Eye exercises, Concentration on a Point or Candle Flame