Uddiyana Bandha Kriya - Pre Nauli
Step by step to Nauli Kriya
Uddiyana Bandha, Upward flying lock or Pre nauli that is called sometimes is an important exercise for health, well being, and energy flow. This exercise will help your digestive organs, improves digestion, massage your solar plexus and abdominal organs, release tension and toxic, and stimulates blood flow as well as strengthen your abdominal muscles. A perfect practice to help and activate your energy flow in your hatha yoga practice.
Before we do our uddiyana bandha practice, there are a few things to remember. This practice should be done with an empty stomach, to really activate your abdominal muscles. In the same time, you should always do your uddiyana bandha after an exhale. Now that we remember these two things let’s continue with our practice.
What is ‘Bandha’?Bandha are “locks” or “bonds” essential to yoga and to pranayama practice (breathing exercises) which can help you stimulate your energy and cleansing your energy channels. Usually, we talk about four key locks or bandha’s:
- Mula bandha: the root lock
- Jalandhara bandha: the throat lock
- Uddiyana bandha: the abdominal lock
- Maha bandha: to do all three locks at the same time
Uddiyana' means to fly or rise up. thereof "Upward flying lock"
The reason behind bandhas is to gain control and lock your energy to use and stimulate your energy as you want it. Bandha practice helps you with your flow, to maintain it and engage it!
How to do uddiyana bandha Kriya / Pre Nauli:9 step guide for a better energy flow
This step by step guide is from standing position but can be practiced in Padmasana as in the picture above.
1. Stand up with your feet shoulder distance apart, and your knees slightly bent.
2. Bend your back straight forward and place your palms on your thighs close to your knees.
3. Keep your Arms straight and slightly and little weight into them.
4. Exhale slowly until your lungs are empty.
5. Draw the abdominals in and up as if you would try to make your waist smaller. Like you are doing a mock inhalation holding the breath expanding the rib cage.
6. Hold your breath (mock inhalation) for as long as you can.
7. Release your abdominal muscles slowly.
8. Inhale as your abdominal muscles are entirely released.
9. Repeat a couple of times.
Massage for your abdominal and soulUddiyana Nauli Kriya helps not only with releasing energy, but it also moves your energy from your belly and up your body. This is also a great way to work your lower abdominal and to focus on that contact with your muscles that can be hard to activate. Uddiyana Bandha creates massage for your abdominal muscles and the lower back. This is a practice that suits new and old yogis, and will benefit you and your practice! It can be practiced as standing or in a seated yoga poses as lotus posture or easy pose.
Uddiyana bandha contraindications
- High Blood pressure
Online courses were to learn Uddiyana Bandha Kriya
- Yogateket's Eight-week Pranayama program with Guy Powicki suited for beginners to start their Pranayama journey.
Benefits of Uddiyana Bandha Kriya
- Strengthens the abdominal muscles
- Massages The Solar plexus, Abdominal organs, Heart, and Lungs.
- Improves circulation in the abdomen and flow of blood to the brain.
When to do Nauli Kriya?
Practice this bandha in the morning on an empty stomach.